Physical or Digital games?

You can discuss any kind of games here! Console, handheld, cards, board games, etc.

Physical or digital games?

Physical!
25%
Digital!
25%
Both!
50%

Total votes: 4

Megan
Ferret Queen
Ferret Queen
Mood:
United States of America

Physical or Digital games?

Post by Megan »

Do you prefer physical games or digital ones?

Me personally I like both, though lately I have been buying more digital. Its nice cause its fast and you don't have to worry about keeping track of copies and takes less physical space.

I do still buy physical, though it depends on the game. Like a Zelda game? I'll buy the physical. It just depends how much I like it or think I'll like it.

There have been a few digital only games I wished had physical copies such as the Grandia HD Collection for Switch. I totally would of bought that. One of my favorite game series.

So what about you guys?
Dook, dook, dook! :ferret:

Spook of the lost
Playful Ferret
Playful Ferret
Mood:

Re: Physical or Digital games?

Post by Spook of the lost »

I'm a fan of physical copies, anything that means I don't need the internet to play a game :P

I recently wanted to play a game with a friend over but couldn't because the steam servers were down... it was a game I could play locally and was incredibly frustrating.

I'm also a retrogamer and have a large collection of physical game media from cartridges to discs to even a few hu cards for the mastersystem genesis addon.

but I definitely lean more towards physical media, I like the sense of weight and presence a physical game has when you put it into a console, the nice cases, even more when there's nice boxart and stuff, like my copy of quake III for linux which came in a metal tin 8-)
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Megan
Ferret Queen
Ferret Queen
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Megan »

Spook of the lost wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:50 pm I'm a fan of physical copies, anything that means I don't need the internet to play a game :P

I recently wanted to play a game with a friend over but couldn't because the steam servers were down... it was a game I could play locally and was incredibly frustrating.

I'm also a retrogamer and have a large collection of physical game media from cartridges to discs to even a few hu cards for the mastersystem genesis addon.

but I definitely lean more towards physical media, I like the sense of weight and presence a physical game has when you put it into a console, the nice cases, even more when there's nice boxart and stuff, like my copy of quake III for linux which came in a metal tin 8-)
I always liked having the nice box art too, and the manual art too. Though sadly new games don't come with those anymore. I still keep some of the old games ones.

Spook of the lost
Playful Ferret
Playful Ferret
Mood:

Well the outer world's did, I got a physical copy when it was available, as did red dead redemption 2 and watchdogs 2. But you are right, games don't have nearly the packaging they once did, usually going with plastic cd cases instead.
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
Megan
Ferret Queen
Ferret Queen
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Megan »

Spook of the lost wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:47 pm Well the outer world's did, I got a physical copy when it was available, as did red dead redemption 2 and watchdogs 2. But you are right, games don't have nearly the packaging they once did, usually going with plastic cd cases instead.
Man I remember the Lunar remake sets. Those were so awesome. Same with Arc the Lad one. Came with so many goodies.

Spook of the lost
Playful Ferret
Playful Ferret
Mood:

So to update this, did you see the fancy collectors edition boxes that Wasteland 3 got?

the game is on a digital data drive instead of a CD but the box it came in was full of art books, a manual, and get this, a statute of one of the bosses in the game!

man it's rare we get such cool collectible and physical releases these days.
Megan
Ferret Queen
Ferret Queen
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Megan »

Spook of the lost wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:23 pm So to update this, did you see the fancy collectors edition boxes that Wasteland 3 got?

the game is on a digital data drive instead of a CD but the box it came in was full of art books, a manual, and get this, a statute of one of the bosses in the game!

man it's rare we get such cool collectible and physical releases these days.
Oh that is cool. Not my thing but definitely cool. Yeah I miss when you got such awesome stuff. I even miss when pre-orders came with neat stuff. Once in a while you get a cd or something.

Spook of the lost
Playful Ferret
Playful Ferret
Mood:

Even the sims 3 at least came with a flash drive in the plumbob shape full of wallpapers and stuff...

the sims 4... some stuff you eventually got to get on the store later.
Megan
Ferret Queen
Ferret Queen
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Megan »

I remember Lunar 2 came with a punching puppet of Ghaelon. XD Chrono Trigger DS came with a mini soundtrack (which even if it was two tracks was amazing), and Final Fantasy VII came with a t-shirt that my brother gave me. I think I threw it out some years back. It wasn't in great shape. XD

elfwink
Ferret Herder
Ferret Herder

Post by elfwink »

If they're board games, physical is generally better. Digital board games are typically not as good as their physical counterparts. With rare exceptions.

Physical copies of video games used to be my preference. Back in the day, the internet speed sucked, so it made sense to load your game off a physical medium. It also meant you would always have the game, even if you lost your account, the parent company closed or otherwise took away your access. (Imagine if you had to re-purchase your digital game every few years!? Some game company will probably want to do that >_> I mean they're already wanting us to sign up for premium subscriptions.)

However, I think digital is still the superior medium. This is because CDs, cartridges, and other physical media will eventually obsolesce. Or otherwise they could become faulty, get recalled, etc. In those cases they get buried or become landfill, which is toxic for the Earth.
Warning! A huge battleship "STEVE" is approaching fast!